Why you should use beard oil
Beard oil is a go to grooming product for many bearded men, and is considered to be an all in one solution to maintaining a healthy beard. No matter the length of your beard, including a high quality natural beard oil is a great way to keep the beard soft, skin moisturised, itch free while reducing and eliminating beard dandruff.
Let’s take a look into why you should be using a natural beard oil, whether beard oil makes your beard grow faster, whether beard oil works, beard oil benefits, how to use beard oil, beard oil ingredients, selecting the right beard oil scent and how to maximise your beard oil use through better grooming and beard care.
Does beard oil make your beard grow faster?
There is no evidence to suggest that using beard oil will make your beard grow faster. With so many products on the market making claims that their beard oil or beard serum will speed up beard growth, it’s very confusing to separate fact from fiction.
The reality is that the amount of beard hair you can grow is based on a variety of factors such as environment, diet, sleep, exercise, supplementation and hydration. The main deciding factor however is genetics. Your genetics play the largest role as to how much hair you can grow, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try to maintain healthy beard growing conditions by incorporating beard oil and other grooming products, and living a healthy and active lifestyle.
There are some studies that have shown that some essential oils may support or promote beard hair growth due to their therapeutic properties and high antioxidant profile.
Does beard oil really work?
When you grow a beard, you cover up a part of your face in which sometimes the skin beneath is forgotten. The constant cleaning and washing of your beard, and hard water minerals from showering can leave the skin beneath dry, itchy and flaky. Without restoring the skin's barrier through the use of beard oils or a beard balm, you’ll continue to experience a range of issues such as beard dandruff, dry brittle hair, beard itch, potential patchiness as beard hair falls out and sometimes even folliculitis.
Beard Oil Benefits
There are numerous benefits you can experience from using beard oil. If there was one product you needed in your beard care grooming routine, we would recommend a beard oil for the below reasons:
Softens and strengthens beard hair
Softens and treats dry/rough beards. There will be instant benefits from the first use, but after two weeks of using beard oil you’ll experience the added benefits and you won’t believe how good your beard looks and feels.
Provides the beard with vitamins and minerals for healthy beard growth
Beard oil is enriched with vitamins, micronutrients and fatty acids that improve beard/skin health and strengthen the hair follicles. A healthy beard starts with a nutritious diet and healthy skin (follicles).
Moisturises and protects the skin beneath the beard
Beard oil moisturises and restores the epidermis, ridding the beard of flaky skin and promoting ideal conditions for beard growth. Beard Oil is also great for sensitive skin.
Helps get rid of beard itch
Helps soothe and get rid of beard itch and reduces skin irritation and redness. This will ensure that you don’t look like a walking rash on your next date.
Cleans the beard and leaves it smelling great
Using beard oil not only cleans your beard, but it also smells incredible.
How do you use beard oil?
Using beard oil is as easy as brushing your teeth, and doesn’t take much time at all. We’ve provided a more in depth article about how to use and apply beard oil but the process explains it well.
- Shake the bottle before use. Depending on the environment and seasons, your oil may need a little warm up.
- Dispense three to four drops into the palms of your hand and gently rub your hands together. The rule of thumb is start with less, and then add more if necessary. You don’t want to unnecessarily waste product or leave your beard looking and feeling greasy. Below is an image providing a rough guide on how much beard oil you should use.
- In a downwards motion, run your hands and fingers over the beard ensuring you start from the cheek area at the top of your sideburns and then working your way downwards to cover the rest of the beard. Ensure you pay attention to your moustache area.
- If you’re using your hands, gently run the tips of your fingers in an upwards motion from the chin, working your way outwards towards the cheek. Massage the oil into the skin, take your time, appreciate your handsome mug in the mirror while you do it.
- If using a comb, continue to comb in a downwards motion and use your hand as a way to pat down flyaway hairs gently to provide a natural beard style. A conditioning beard balm can also aid you in maintaining a well-shaped and tidy beard.
- Apply more oil if you feel it’s called for.
What ingredients are used in beard oil?
When purchasing a beard oil, we will always recommend you find an oil which is as natural as possible. All of our beard oils are 100% natural containing certified organic carrier oils of Argan, Jojoba and Sweet Almond Oil. Pure to botanical essential oils are used instead of synthetic fragrance, and Rosemary extract is used as a natural preservative and antioxidant to extend shelf life and maintain product integrity.Argan Oil
An Argan Beard Oil base is known in the hair care industry as ‘liquid gold’. It’s made from the kernels of the Moroccan Argan tree, and contains fatty acids like oleic and linoleic acid. When applied to the beard it helps reduce damaged or split hairs, reduce beard dandruff, eliminate beard itch and moisturise the skin.Jojoba Oil
A Jojoba Beard Oil base does so many good things for your beard and skin. It’s a natural humectant, which means it prevents infections, locks in moisture and helps fight acne. It’s antibacterial and antimicrobial. And it’s loaded with antioxidants like Vitamin E, to keep hair looking soft and healthy.Sweet Almond Oil
An Almond beard oil base is rich in Vitamin E, zinc, potassium and fatty acids which are ideal properties for promoting healthy beard growth. It’s also lightweight and fast absorbing which leaves the beard soft without feeling greasy.Rosemary Extract
Our go-to natural antioxidant and natural preservative. Not only does Rosemary Extract keep the oil fresh, it’s known to be beneficial for hair growth and reducing hair loss.
How do I pick the best beard oil scent?
There are a lot of factors to consider when selecting the best beard oil scent for you. Things to consider when selecting a beard oil are:
- What types of fragrances are used (essential oil vs synthetic fragrance).
- Scent strength.
- The oil profile (top, middle and base notes) and how natural those ingredients are, including the base oils used.
What’s the difference between beard oil and beard balm?
Beard oil vs beard balm, a common question that arises when deciding what beard care products to use. It’s important to note that although they look and feel very different, they both share many of the same properties and benefits.
Beard oil is the most common and important solution to any beard problem. Even if your beard is in great shape, regular beard oil use is important. It’s the easiest way to keep the hair on your face healthy, soft and your skin moisturised. This means strong, healthier facial hair and better growing conditions.
Beard balm comes in many forms, some focused on styling using heavier waxes such as beeswax, while other balms may be considered conditioning balms. Our beard balm was made to condition the beard leaving it soft, while complimenting its natural style. We avoided beeswax, to remain vegan friendly, and instead used berry wax which is lighter and fully absorbs into the beard. It also helps eliminate beard itch, reduce beard dandruff and is ideal for sensitive skin.
What other beard care tips will help me get the most out of using beard oil?
- In order to clean the beard, use beard shampoo 1-2 times a week and place emphasis on using beard conditioner most days to maintain beard and skin health. Too much shampooing of the beard will strip away natural oils, shine and rob your beard of its man essence.
- After each wash, gently pat-dry the beard to avoid irritation and hair damage.
- Apply The Groomed Man Co. Australian Made Beard Oil to nourish and protect the hair and skin.
- To keep the beard looking like the boss it is, gently comb it daily to undo the knots and stimulate circulation. You might want to use some of our beard balm to naturally style it and keep flyaway hairs at bay!
- When length gets in the way of that Friday night Souvlaki, trim the beard with sharp barber scissors and remove any damaged hair. A comb can be used as a guide to help monitor length.
- After you’ve consumed that delicious Souvlaki, consider a diet rich in vitamins A, B3, B5, B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin E and Biotin – it will give your beard the best chance to reach its full potential.
Now you know why you should be using beard oil, why beard oil works, the benefits of beard oil and additional beard care grooming essentials, why not shop our range of Australian made beard oils.